Saturday, April 12, 2008

Risom in the 90s



Surprised to find out recently that modernist designer Jens Risom is not only still designing at age 91 but is living in New Canaan, Connecticut. For some reason I'd always presumed he wasn't alive and was in Scandinavia...


Here's Jen's answer to the three questions he is most-frequently asked:

Is furniture Functional or Decorative?
Furniture is primarily functional. A chair has to be comfortable and support one’s body although Frank Lloyd Wright once told me that he did not agree with this because, as he said, “God did not intend for man to be seated!” Furniture should also look attractive and express the designer’s ideas and taste.

What does Contemporary really mean?
Contemporary means that the design is created in our time for today’s people, environments, habits and activities. Antique styles we all admire now were also once contemporary and undoubtedly were questioned when new just as ours are today.

Many of my designs from 60 years ago are now categorized as Mid-Twentieth Century, which of course makes me feel rather old! People ask me if I think these designs will still be around in another 50 years. Well, I won’t be around then so I’m too concerned about that!

What is Good Design?
Design is Problem Solving. Good design therefore is a good solution that satisfies many requirements. While furniture must be attractive in appearance, the detailing, materials, execution and craftsmanship that go into the overall design must also be of a very high standard, whether the product is mass-produced or made by hand.

Here's a trio of pics of one of my favorite Risom designs his 1948 T 710 stacking side table which came in a stack of three

No comments: