Sunday, January 27, 2008

while my broken heart gently....



News of Hip-O-Selects upcoming expanded edition of Marvin Gaye's "Here, My Dear" album returned me to the record. It's a record I have turned to again and again every time my heart has been broken and the sadness has become too hard to cope with. It's THE record I played when the ending of my last serious relationship reduced me to tears. For me it's THE Marvin record, as mind blowing and utterly essential as so much of his music is, somehow Here My Dear is the one that just got deep inside me to a level few records do. Funnily returning to listening to "Is That Enough" at 2am (a track I rarely grooved on before - it was always the versions of "When Did You Stop Loving Me, When Did I Stop Loving You" that destroyed me), I was reminded of a fleeting thought I had today - I've very much realized this year that I am no longer heart-broken, and today I realized that every heart break has made me care that much more. My desire, sensitivity to and appreciation for love is at a level only disaster could create. Every break has made my heart more open. My senses wider. I'm stronger than ever internally. In understanding how my capacity for love has changed I realize now how much more I can love myself and ... others.

BRING ON THE LOVE

No comments: