Saturday, February 16, 2008

Great Garland


Here's a series of work by old school British graphic designer Ken Garland













I wonder where Neville Brody got his ideas from ? hint hint ...


What were the key influences on your approach to design?

Ken Garland: I don’t have heroes as such. I have great respect for the work of some people, and quite often they are people who would be very impatient of politics. People like, say, Paul Rand and like Hans Schleger, a much-neglected designer who, being a refugee from Nazism, certainly had a political attitude. But he didn’t brandish it. And Jan Tschichold.
My greatest influences are probably Futurism, Dadaism and Surrealism, which is intriguing because the Futurists were crypto-fascists, after all. Also photography. Bill Brandt’s greatest work was his social commentary for Picture Post. My upbringing was punctuated by the weekly arrival of Picture Post, a hugely important magazine. That and Lilliput were the two things that influenced me most before I even thought about being a graphic designer. Wonderful. Anyone of my generation would say the same, I think.

No comments: