Saturday, February 9, 2008

On The Corner



Discovered in the depths of my computer is this mad mix of African and Free jazz - show #27 for my ON THE CORNER radio show that was started in the late 90s on the PSEUDO network. Pseudo was an idea ahead of it's time - a whole online TV studio with various programs dedicated to music. Thanks to Chris, one of the main brains behind it, I got a slot to do a show in the studio. Was fun to go into their mad set up on Broadway and be filmed spinning records. In fact, Jazz man Marion Brown's son Djinji Brown was often the cameraman and would freak out when I pulled out records like Herbie Hanock's "Nobu."

When Pseudo folded I set up my own website for the show - onthecorner.net. This was my first interaction with young designer Tyler Askew who designed a stunning font for the series and had a friend help with the back-end of the site. Tyler and I (along with Atlanta's Karl Injex would later be co-founders and partners in club night Rude Movements). A whole bunch of people did guest mixes for the site/show including Dixon who recorded his in my living room! We also had a great summer event outdoors at PS1 with DJ Spinna, Charlie Dark, Victor Duplaix and myself. It was a fun experience.

This is one of the last shows from the series. Recorded circa May 2002. Very much an experiment. Afro ideas in music - afro beat meets afro jazz - a listening thing more than a DJ mix. Since it was a tribute to Angela Davis and her brilliant hair - Black History Month seems like a good a time as any to put this up.

The last track still sends shivers down my back - mind blowing cut from a South African singer that brings together Spiritual Jazz dance, Motown and Soweto soul. Worth listening to the mix just to hear this masterpiece. Download Mix.

Oh and one interesting aside, my friend Mathieu (Mr French) in Los Angeles now does a great radio show also called On The Corner on KCRW.

1 comment:

Reza said...

looks like a good mix , already gone on sendspace :(

try mediafire no time limits or rapidshare.de for over 100mb

If you bother with a re up (please)would be great , btw some nice mixes @ mine